Thursday, September 16, 2010

How to Substitute With Gluten Free Flours When Baking

So you are on a gluten free diet and think you can never enjoy baking again?  Not true!  I have been baking since I was a little girl and was devastated when both of my daughters were diagnosed with Celiac Disease and had to go on gluten free diets.  I thought I would have to give up my passion for baking for my family, but I was wrong!  After experimenting and trying different recipes and methods, I now know it’s not that hard after all.  Here are the simple basics:

First of all, look up a list of all the flours that are gluten free and get familiar with the properties of each.  This way you will know what each kind will bring to your recipe, as well as what it lacks.

Next, look up ideas for gluten free flour blends.  I found MANY over the years, just by reading recipes and cook books.  There are literally 100’s of different combinations and I have found that if you try a few and find one that works – just stick with it.  The main idea is that you need to use several different gluten free flours together because they all bring a different element to your baking and the result is a product that is similar to one made with standard wheat flour.   My mix includes equal parts rice flour, tapioca flour and corn starch with a bit of potato flour.  I mix up a big batch and keep it in a big air tight container labeled “Gluten Free Flour Blend”.

I use my gluten free flour blend cup for cup to thicken gravies, make a rue, to bread chicken or fish, etc., but when it comes to baking you cannot just substitute your gluten free flour blend cup for cup for regular flour.  There are two things I always do: 

First, for about 2/3 of the amount of flour that is called for in the recipe, I use my chosen gluten free flour blend.  The remaining 1/3 of flour called for I use either sorghum flour (in cookies) or millet flour (in breads, cakes and muffins).  Both of these flours improve the texture of the end product and make it more like its gluten containing counterpart.

Second, I always add xanthan gum (about 1 teaspoon for most recipes).  Xanthan gum replaces the gluten and helps hold your baked good together.  Without it, your gluten free product will be crumbly and fall apart.

You will learn more with time and experience, but with these few basic tips, you will be on your way to delicious and successful gluten free baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment