Friday, September 17, 2010

How to Make Your Own Scented Vinegar Laundry Rinse

Making my own scented vinegar laundry rinse has been one of best discoveries I've made in a long time!  I was having problems with my towels not smelling fresh.  They would come out of the dryer smelling clean, but as soon as they got wet when you used them, they would smell yucky again.  I also had laundry from bed wetting that never seemed to be completely fresh either.  I tried everything I could think of in the washer and dryer, but nothing worked.

My last ditch effort was a winner!  Plain white vinegar scented with my favorite essential oils then added to my rinse cycle did the trick!  It not only deodorizes like nothing I've ever used, but disinfects, softens and helps with static.  It also keeps my washing machine fresh even in the middle of a humid summer.  Here is how you make it:

Lemongrass Lavender Vinegar Laundry Rinse
1 gallon white vinegar
20 drops of lemongrass essential oil
30 drops of lavender essential oil

Add essential oils to jug of vinegar and shake well.  That's it!  Couldn't be easier!

Add 1/2 to 1 cup to the rinse cycle of your wash, as you would a fabric softener.  I have a special place in my washer that says 'softener' and that is where I put it.  Make sure to SHAKE WELL BEFORE EACH USE.  The oil floats on the top and you will pour it all off in the first few uses if you don't shake it first.  I recommend marking the bottle with a black marker 'fabric softener' so no one inadvertently uses it in their food thinking it's plain vinegar.

You will smell a bit of vinegar when you open the washer and take the wet laundry out, but I PROMISE you won't smell it on your clothes when they are dry.  They just smell really fresh and clean!  You can also use PLAIN white vinegar in your rinse without putting the essential oils in and it works just as well.  The oils just add another layer of scent if you like that.

If you are not familiar with essential oils, you should be able to buy them at any natural food store or there are many sources online.  I recommend investing in high quality oils and not cutting corners.  They may seem expensive at first, but the true scent you will get is worth a few extra dollars and the seemingly small bottles last a really long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment