Friday, September 17, 2010

How to Make Your Own Laundry Soap

I love to make my own laundry soap! Not only is it economical, but I feel good using a product that won't harm my family or the environment and it smells heavenly!

I buy all of the ingredients, accept the essential oils right at my local grocery store. I live in a very small town, so I assume if I can get them, most people can. If you can't find castile soap in your grocery store, you should definitely be able to get it at a natural food store, where you should also be able to find essential oils. I personally buy my essential oils online, because there is more of a selection to choose from. I don't mind investing in high quality oils and paying the shipping because they last a really long time! The fun part is experimenting with different scents. My favorite is a combination of lemongrass and lavender, but by experimenting you're sure to discover your own favorite signature scents!

Lemongrass Lavender Laundry Soap
2 bars castile soap, grated. (lavender or citrus)
8 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
4 cups 20 Muleteam Borax
4 cups baking soda
30 drops of pure lemongrass essential oil
50 drops of pure lavender essential oil

1.  Start by grating your bars of soap on a box grater you would shred cheese on. I like to use the large holes for 'curls' of soap, but you can use the finer side if you prefer that consistency. It's really personal preference. Add grated soap to a very large bowl.

2.  Sift washing soda, borax and baking soda into the large bowl with the soap flakes.

3.  Toss all the dry ingredients together until well mixed. I recommend just using your hands to toss, it's easier than a spoon and seems to puff up into the air less.

4.  Add drops of essential oil over the top of the powders and toss again well. Feel free to adjust the number of drops to your liking and to experiment with different scents. That is the fun part!

5.  Pour into a zip lock bag, glass storage jar or air tight plastic canister.

6.  Put 1 - 2 Tbl in your washing machine before filling, depending on the size of your load and how dirty it is.  Works in cold and warm water and is safe for HE front load washers since it creates low to no suds.

Makes 4 ½ 1-quart mason jars that make wonderful handmade gifts!

I recommend using with a scented vinegar rinse (see separate post). It deodorizes, disinfects, softens and helps with static.  Another inexpensive and safe alternative to store bought products.

No comments:

Post a Comment